2007-03-28

Banks


I went to Tokyo Star Bank today to open a new account to accept payments from students taking our Web-based lessons. So, today's blog will be about banking terms and phrases.
  1. statement (bank statement): 銀行口座取引明細
    • Tokyo Star Bank mails monthly bank statements to customers instead of using a passbook like traditional Japanese banks.
  2. opening balance: 開始残高
    • My opening balance was only 1,000 yen. I was a little embarrassed
  3. closing balance: 締め切り残高
    • I hope my closing balance will be a billion yen when I am ready to retire!
  4. deposit: 現金の預金
    • 名詞: I chose Tokyo Star Bank so that I can make deposits at Circle K Sunkus for free.
    • 動詞: I deposited the class fees this afternoon during my lunch break.
  5. withdrawal: 現金の引き出し
    • When I first came to Japan, we couldn't make withdrawals at convenience stores.
  6. withdraw: (預金を)下ろす
    • I withdrew 10 thousand yen at the ATM before we went shopping.
  7. savings account: 普通預金口座
    • Savings accounts are more common in Japan than checking accounts.
  8. checking account: 当座預金口座
    • Checking accounts are more common in the States than savings accounts.
  9. interest: 利息
    • Yokohama Bank paid me only 12 yen in interest last year.
  10. automated teller machine (ATM): 現金自動預払機 (Although redundant, you might hear some native English speakers say ATM machine.)
    • Since I often work late at night, I think that Tokyo Star Bank's 24-hour ATM services are very useful.
  11. personal identification number (PIN): (キャッシュカードなどの) 暗証番号 (Although redundant, you may hear some native English speakers say PIN number.)
    • Tokyo Star Bank will decide the PIN for me. Later, I can go online and change the PIN to something that is easier to remember.
  12. insufficient funds: 残高不足
    • I have to pay NTT with cash because of insufficient funds in my savings account.
  13. fee: 手数料
    • Tokyo Star Bank doesn't charge any fees for deposits or withdrawals from ATMs at Circle K Sunkus.
  14. charge: 手数料を請求する
    • Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ charges high fees for bank transfers.
  15. direct deposit: (銀行口座への)振り込み制度
    • The company pays all employees by direct deposit.
  16. (pay by) bank transfer: 銀行振込みで支払う
    • English students who take our Web-based classes can pay by bank transfer.
Do you have some more phrases that you would like to learn? Please ask me by email or ask me in class!

No comments:

Post a Comment