2005-08-06

Your Questions: What is the difference between "could" and "would"? (Part I)


Part I

K.N. of MP3 asked this question: How are could and would used differently? Here are some examples of could:

1. To talk about ability in the past:

  • I could drive when I was fifteen.
  • Could you hear me properly?
2. To make requests:
  • Could you help me, please?
  • Could I have a light?
3. To talk about ability in the future:
  • Could you swim across this river?
  • Could you lift that weight?
4. To show possibility in the present & future:
  • He could be at work, but I'm not certain.
  • If I were rich, I could go the Bahamas for a holiday.
5. To make suggestions for the future:
  • We could have a party.
  • You could see your mother and then go out afterwards.
6. To ask politely for something:
  • Could you give me some help here?
  • Could you come here, please?
7. To show permission politely:
  • You could come on Thursday, if you like.
  • The boss said you couldn't leave early.
8. As the past tense of can:
  • I could run much faster when I was younger.
  • Women and children could work in the mines in the last century.

Part II

Here are some examples of would:

1. Conditionals:

  • It would be better if you came.
  • If we had not lost, we would be champions now.
  • If I were you, I would leave straight away.

2. Wishing:

  • I'd like to go to Mars.
  • I wish she would look in this direction.
3. [Who] + like to ask for something:
  • What would you like to do?
  • I would like some information, please.

4. The past tense of will:

  • I am late because the car would not start.

5. Invitations:

  • Would you come with me, please?
  • Would you like some tea?

6. Preferences

  • I'd rather have tea than coffee.

7. Imagining things:

  • A holiday would be nice.
  • Wouldn't it be nice to get on with my neighbors?

8. In informal writing, we often we abbreviate the verb would with an apostrophe:

  • she would = she'd

9. We can use would as a polite form of will:

  • Would you tell them to come in, please?

10. We use would like as a polite form of want:

  • I want a cup of tea.
  • I would like a cup of tea, please.

11. It is also an invitation:

  • Would you like a cup of tea?
  • Would you like to go to the cinema?

12. The short form is 'd:

  • I'd like to know what is going on.

Source: Copyright 2002 - 2004 Free-ESL

      No comments:

      Post a Comment