2007-09-30

To Overseas

Notes from the KH Class:

Do not use the word to before the word overseas.

× I want to go go to overseas during my winter break.
◎ I want to go overseas during my winter break. (冬休みの間、海外旅行に行きたい。)

Use "to" with a specific place. "Overseas" is not a specific place--it is too general, so you cannot use "to" + "overseas."

Examples:
  • I went to Italy.
  • I went to work.
  • I went to the office.
  • I went to the park.
  • I went to the theater.
However, if you use the word "visit," then we don't use "to."

Examples:
  • I visited Italy.
  • I visited my old workplace.
  • I visited my company's head office in Tokyo.
  • I visited the park near my apartment.
  • I visited my friend's house in Gamagori.
Benefits vs Salary
  • Benefits includes everything besides your salary.
  • Example:
    • My company offers employees many good benefits including 20 days of paid vacation annually, a very good health and dental plan, a transportation allowance, a housing allowance, child-rearing allowance, a 401K, and free use of corporate recreational facilities.
  • My company doesn't offer a high enough salary. 給料が足りない・給料が安い。
    • My salary is a little low, but my benefits are quite good.
---
Many Japanese housewives prefer to work at my kind of job because they mistakenly believe that such a position carries with it a high status. In addition, since they are housewives, they don't care too much about whether or not they get paid a relatively high salary. Therefore, they have flooded the ~ job market and have driven down salaries. This situation makes it hard for people like me who are trying to make a living working as a ~.
  • researcher job market / researcher
  • consultant job marker / consultant
  • ~ job market / ~



References:



No comments:

Post a Comment