2007-10-01

Offer Incense

Notes from the TM Class:
---
A: We had two three-day weekends recently. So, did you and your husband do anything fun or exciting?
B: Well, we visited my father's grave at the cemetery and cleaned the gravestone, offered a couple wands of sakaki, and offered prayers.
---
  • sakaki: an evergreen tree with broad waxy leaves found in Japan, Korea, and China.
  • visit my family's plot (一族の墓所) at the local cemetery (地元の墓地)
  • visit my ancestor's (先祖の;祖先の) grave (墓) at a cemetery (墓所)
  • offer incense (線香をあげる)
  • visit the grave and clean the gravestone (墓石)
  • offer two wands of sakaki as a part of a Shinto ritual (神道式)
  • 2 bows, 2 claps, and then 1 bow as part of a Shinto ritual (二礼二拍手一礼の神道形式をとる)
  • お彼岸: weeks of the vernal and autumn equinox days
---
  • マイペースで勉強して下さい: Please take your time studying.
    • Please let me take my time studying.
      • Don't rush me. Let me do it at my own pace.
      • Don't slow me down. Let me do it at my own pace.
      • Please study at your own pace.



References:



No comments:

Post a Comment