2007-10-30

Prison Break

Notes from the IY Class:

This is a copy of a dialog between Y. and Chip that we had before the start of class.

C: Did you have a nice weekend?
Y: Yes, I did.
C: Really?! What did you do?
Y: I watched all of season one of Prison Break on DVD.
C: Did you watch the DVDs with your sister or mom?
Y: I watched them with my mom.
C: I see. Was it expensive to rent all of those DVDs?
Y: No, it wasn't. I rented only volumes 1, 2, and 3, but the rest, I borrowed from one of my friends.
C: Oh. You're lucky to have such a friend!
Y: Yes, I think so, too.

アンミ英会話教室 Podcast
Listen to the dialog at this link.

Here are some vocabulary that came up in the I.Y. Class:
  • a line of mascara: マスカラ製品;~製品群
  • line of white furniture: 白い家具など商品群
Example sentences:
  1. I love the Bobbi Brown line of cosmetics.
  2. L'Oreal sells a line of mascara that is sold at Walmart.
  3. TOMY Co. sells a line of white furniture for the Licca brand dollhouse.
More vocabulary:
  • watchdog: 番犬
  • watchdog group; watchdog committee; ~ watchdog: 監視機関; 監視委員会; 広告監視機関; 監視団体
  • Amnesty International: アムネスティ・インターナショナル、国際アムネスティ◆政治犯救済や人権擁護のための国際委員会。1977年ノーベル平和賞受賞。
  • Human Rights Watch: ヒューマン・ライツ・ウオッチ、人権ウオッチ(人権監視機関)
Here are a few international watchdog groups:
  1. Amnesty International (English / Japanese)
  2. Human Rights Watch (English / Japanese)
    • Human Rights World Report 2007 (English)
  • whistle blower: 内部告発者、密告者
  • come to light: 明らかになる

No comments:

Post a Comment