2007-11-01

Offer Condolences

Transcript of the IK class podcast:

This is Chip, and welcome to the anmi-eikaiwa kyoushitsu podcast dated October 30th, 2007.

Todays podcast is about expressing sorrow to a friend, a colleague, or a classmate.

One of our students asked me about using the phrase "I'm sorry" when someone has died. She told me about a coworker who was watching the hit series 24. In one scene, Jack Bauer said "I'm sorry--blah blah blah" in reference to the death of someone close to him.

Of course, there are many ways to express your condolences to someone who has just lost a loved one. In our class, we brainstormed and came up with a list of several ways to express condolences.

In the following examples, we arbitrarily chose the death of a father. If you use any of these phrases, just replace father with the relation of the person that passed away.

OK. Here is the list:
  • I was deeply saddened to hear the news about the sudden death of your father.
  • I was sad to hear the news of your father's passing.
  • My thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time.
  • Please know that our love and concern are with you always.
  • You are continually in my thoughts and prayers.
  • I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
  • I share in your grief and send my love.
  • I am sorry to hear about your father's death.
  • Please accept my condolences.
  • I offer my sincerest condolences.
  • Our hearts and prayers go out to you and your loved ones.
Most of these expressions are what we might use in a sympathy card. If you are expressing condolences in person, then you might want to simply say, "I am sorry to hear about your father's death."

Visit our blog for a complete transcript of this podcast. Go to http://anmienglishtools.blogspot.com

Or go to Google and type ANMI, that's a, n, m, i, English Tips and Tools. Our blog should be the first link you see. You can also visit our website at www.anmi-eikaiwa.com and click on the ANMI English Tools link.

OK. That's all for today. Thanks for listening!



References:

1. Condolences & Eulogies: Finding the Perfect Words (携帯リンク)
2. Book of Condolences (携帯リンク)
3. 葬儀・法要・お悔やみの挨拶と手紙―文例がすぐに見つかる、気持ちが言葉になる (携帯リンク)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous14:48

    I came across your blog while looking for sympathy cards.
    I was wondering if you knew of a place in Kanagawa where you could buy an english sympathy card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lara posted a comment asking about places in Kanagawa where you could buy an English sympathy card. I have never bought a sympathy card in Japan myself, but there are three places I would suggest Lara start looking:
    1. Costco: They have two stores in the Kanagawa area. Since they import a lot of things from the States, they might also have such cards.
    2. Yazawaya: The Yazaway store near the JR Kamata Station sells greeting cards, so they might also have sympathy cards as well.
    3. Yurindo: The Yurindo bookstore in Landmark Tower near Sakuragicho Station has greeting cards, so you might be able to find sympathy cards as well. You can also try other major bookstores that stock English literature.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete