2007-09-21

Notes from the IK Ladies Class

Vocabulary:
  • political satire: 政治風刺
Jon Stewart of the The Daily Show is a popular political satirist on cable TV and on the Web.[1] He was also host of the 2006 Academy Awards.

The television show was a satire on political leaders. (そのテレビのショー番組は、政界の指導者たちを風刺したものだった。)
  • remind: ~に(~を)思い出させる
Your blouse reminds me of some of the costumes in the Austin Powers movies--lots of 60s groovy style. あなたが着ている ブラウスは、オースティン・パワーズの映画に出た衣装デザインを思い出させる。
  • drop vs fall
    • drop: to let go of something on purpose or by accident (落とす); to let (allow) something fall.
I dropped my contacts in the bathroom sink. (contacts コンタクトレンズ; bathroom sink バスルームの洗面台・浴室のシンク)
I dropped my chopsticks on the floor the first time I tried to use them.(chopsticks はし)
My wife dropped an egg on the floor.(奥さんは卵を床に落とした。)
    • fall: to come/go down accidentally or unintentionally(落ちる)
I fell down the stairs when I was a boy.(少年の時、私は階段から落ちた。)
The egg fell from the kitchen counter onto the floor and broke.(卵が台所の台から床に落ちて割れた。)
  • lost article/lost item
A lost article (lost item) was sent back to the owner.(落し物が持ち主に戻った。)
A lost item (lost article) was sent back to the owner.(忘れ物が持ち主に戻った。)

Additional Items:



References:

1. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment